Mason strategically invests in our graduate students through fellowships, awards, and grants.
Graduate student fellowships and grants are awarded to enhance academic performance, promote research of consequence, and advance professional development.
Note: The Office of Student Financial Aid may direct the non-need-based awards listed below toward lowering your loans, reducing the amount of money you will borrow. For more information about how a non-need-based award may affect your financial aid package, contact the Financial Aid office.
- Dissertation Completion Grants (closed): These competitive awards go to doctoral students in the final semester of completing their dissertations. They enable students to focus full-time on research and writing, improve the quality of their work, and shorten the time needed to complete their degrees. For more information, email email@example.com.
- High Impact Grants (opening March 2, 2022): These competitive grants are a new funding opportunity for master’s and doctoral students. They provide tuition support for graduate students’ courses that significantly enhance training and education and/or satisfy credit-bearing requirements towards completion of the graduate degree. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doctoral Research Scholars (opening March 1, 2022): These competitive assistantships are a new funding opportunity for full-time or part-time doctoral students, who have completed a minimum of 48 credits of coursework. They provide support for graduate students to advance their research to progress in 998 or 999 requirements towards completion of their degree. For more information, email email@example.com.
- Summer Research Fellowships (currently open through January 26, 2022): These fellowships provide financial support to graduate students during the summer term, allowing them to devote significant time to their dissertation or thesis research. The award fosters greater professional productivity and assists in timely degree completion. APPLY HERE! For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate Student Travel Fund: This fund helps cover the costs of doctoral and master’s students attendance at and participation in professional conferences. *Due to the impact of COVID-19, at this time, the GSTF is only able to provide support for conference registration fees for students who are presenting at professional conferences. The maximum GSTF support for conference registration will be $450. Proof of payment and attendance is required. Additionally, until further notice, all GSTF reimbursement requests and associated paperwork should be submitted via email to email@example.com. Please be sure to include a signed GSTF Reimbursement Request Form. Visit our website for more updates and information regarding our policies and procedures.
- Graduate Inclusion & Access Scholarship (currently open): This scholarship seeks to support the growth and development of an inclusive and thriving graduate scholar community at George Mason University. An inclusive graduate student community is an essential strength of George Mason University. This scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis. It is available to first-generation college students who are incoming fall semester doctoral degree students, are from an underrepresented population within their doctoral field of study at Mason, have an eligible domestic status (U.S. Citizens, permanent residents, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, asylum status, or Temporary Protected Status) and have demonstrated financial need. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mason provides tuition assistance and subsidized health insurance for graduate students who are recipients of certain prestigious scholarships and fellowships.
For more information on Mason scholarship opportunities for current students click here.